Friday, April 28, 2006

I don't get the hockey frenzy...

Someone will have to explain it to me, I really don't get it. I was sitting at the bar in the Faste Fou after work, having a beer with a colleague. Both TVs where tuned on perpetual news channels, the big story was about tonight's hockey game at the Bell Center. Is that really news material ? I mean, there's a million of important events each day that change the world as we see it... Do we need to know that much about a sport event ?

A colleague in Montreal this week was having a really bad day because the Canadien lost a game. I'm having a bad day when I learn that a loved-one died. I might have a bad day if I wake up late, to then ride an over-crowded bus on a rainy day. I can't conceive having a bad day just because my favorite team lost a game in the finals.

How can a sport bring so much passion/mass hysteria ?

No comments: