Saturday, May 19, 2007

Melvins + Koenjihyakkei (高円寺百景) @ FIMAV 2007

Finally, the 2007 edition of the FIMAV is launched. I came back at 4:00 am this morning from Victoriaville and going back for more tonight.

I saw two shows; Melvins and Koenjihyakkei (高円寺百景). The Melvins were all right, but they didn't really do it for me. It was more a nostalgic moment for me, it reminded me some parties back when I was in Australia. They began and finished the show with was an excruciatingly long soundtrack (no musicians on the stage). They played as tough they were in a bubble, not once they tried to make contact with the crowd in from of them. The public seemed to like the show, there was a small mosh pit and I even saw a guy doing some body surfing once.

I was completely blown away by Keonjihyakkei (高円寺百景) ! I didn't knew them at all, what a great find. I don't know how to describe their sound; furious, melodic, precise, jazzy, proggy, funny, profound, aerial... It was a shock and awe moment for me, probably one of the best show I saw (and I saw a lot). They where very generous with the public; Kengo Sakamoto (bass) and Tatsuya Yoshida (drums) made a point to present their songs even if they had a very limited english. Being a true Japanese, Yamamoto Kyoko (voice) photographed the crowd and also the band in front of the crowd :-). It was the first time they played outside of Japan and I'm sure Victoriaville will leave them a very good impression. Here's a link of a video of them playing in the studio of WFMU.

No comments: